Marshmallow Root is supremely amazing for hair! It's mucliganous properties softens the hair naturally while providing easy slip when combing. I originally made this to use for my little one but because it worked so amazing, I've incorporated it into my routine!
You can personalize this recipe with herbs that are right for your hair type and color. Chamomile is great for blonds. Sage perfect for darkening. Nettle is very nourishing.
Aloe Vera Juice has a ph of 4.5-6 so it's similar to our hair ph. Often, we over shampoo our hair, drying it out which makes it create more oils (which makes us shampoo more so it's just an icky cycle).
I used horsetail and oatstraw because they are high in silica and other nutritive minerals for great hair health.
All these herbs are available from Mountain Rose Herbs.
This detangler is first a decoction with the marshmallow root which we then infuse with horsetail and oatstraw then when cool add aloe vera juice and essential oil.
Herbal Marshmallow Root Detangler
3 cups distilled water (purified will work in a pinch)
2 T marshmallow root
1 T horsetail
1 T oatstraw
1 c aloe vera juice (or so, read directions)
10-30 drops essential oil *optional
1. Make an herbal decoction with the marshmallow root and water - Boil water and add marshmallow root then turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Take off heat and remaining herbs. Let rest at least 15 more minutes.
3. Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve into bottle when cool.
4. Add aloe vera juice (if the infusion results in less than one cup, I just use equal parts aloe vera juice so its half infusion and half aloe).
5. Spritz on comb or hair and get to work!
P.S. I know I've been amiss lately but my priorites have been elsewhere, as they should be really. I love this blog and will continue to post recipes and ideas but God, my family, and my photography business does come first. (Maybe one day this will help me make money as well - That would be a dream!)
P.P.S Surprisingly, during this break, I made a lot of great recipes that I will be sharing on the blog in the future. The purpose of this break was not to do so but alas I won't stop the creativeness! Be on the lookout the next couple of days for some deliciousness.
I buy my herbs from